• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being sued for damages

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sarms

What is the name of your state?New Jersey
I sold my home thru a realtor over 8 months ago. There was nothing wrong with my home, and the buyer had an inspector walk thru and found nothing wrong. Well, 8 months later the buyer is suing me for $8,000 saying that my pipes were leaking water. He said I tied rags around them to prevent the leaking. Now he has damages to his tiles and walls and has a lawyer after me. This is a lot of money that I don't have plus I'm going to have to hire a lawyer. Am I liable for this? Can I counter sue him for false accusations, lost work and my legal expenses?

Last edited:

BradleyS

If you are being sued and have been served.........you need to hire a REAL ESTATE ATTORNEY that specializes in contracts and disclosure......shop around.....ask alot of questions about trial experience...and litigation experience in front of a jury.

Believe me, you don't want to have any lawyer. If it goes to a jury trial...forget about the law......it's all about emotions...so get an attorney that presents themselves well.

It all boils down to which attorney can tell the best story to convince the jury.

If you only received correspondence (letter) from an attorney. I wouldn't respond until I have been served and then read the above again.

HomeGuru

sarms said:
What is the name of your state?New Jersey
I sold my home thru a realtor over 8 months ago. There was nothing wrong with my home, and the buyer had an inspector walk thru and found nothing wrong. Well, 8 months later the buyer is suing me for $8,000 saying that my pipes were leaking water. He said I tied rags around them to prevent the leaking. Now he has damages to his tiles and walls and has a lawyer after me. This is a lot of money that I don't have plus I'm going to have to hire a lawyer. Am I liable for this? Can I counter sue him for false accusations, lost work and my legal expenses?

**A: so what exactly is the story on the pipes, leaking and the rags etc.?

sarms

The story is there was nothing wrong with my home when I sold it. He is claiming that there were rags tied around the pipes to prevent them from leaking, which is a lie. He had a inspector go thru the house and found nothing wrong with it. 8 months later the pipes started leaking and he is trying to say it was like that 8 months ago.

HomeGuru

sarms said:
The story is there was nothing wrong with my home when I sold it. He is claiming that there were rags tied around the pipes to prevent them from leaking, which is a lie. He had a inspector go thru the house and found nothing wrong with it. 8 months later the pipes started leaking and he is trying to say it was like that 8 months ago.

**A: what type of plumbing pipes did you have, how old are they, how long did you own the home and did you get a home inspection when you bought the home?

sarms

I think they were copper pipes, they are about 50 years old. I owned the home for 2 years. I had a VA inspector come out and and inspect it before I bought the house. He had a private contractor that he paid to come out and inspect the house before he bought it.

HomeGuru

sarms said:
I think they were copper pipes, they are about 50 years old. I owned the home for 2 years. I had a VA inspector come out and and inspect it before I bought the house. He had a private contractor that he paid to come out and inspect the house before he bought it.

**A: so YOU did not hire your own home inspector to inspect the house?
Was not the VA inspector actually the appraiser for the lender?

sarms

The VA inspector was thru the lender that I had. For a guru you sure do ask a lot of questions and don't give out any answers. Maybe it's time for a name change! No need to respond you wasted enough of my time.

HomeGuru

sarms said:
The VA inspector was thru the lender that I had. For a guru you sure do ask a lot of questions and don't give out any answers. Maybe it's time for a name change! No need to respond you wasted enough of my time.

**A: I make a living asking a lot of and really pertinent questions to win cases. And I win all the time.
You don't have a case because you were too ignorant.
Rather than hire your own home inspector you relied on the lender's VA appraiser. If you conduct more research you will discover the truth of the matter. That being that the appraiser is working for the lender and not you. And that appraiser IS NOT a home inspector. Read your HUD paperwork. You will see in black and white that it states that the VA appraiser is not a home inspector and that HUD recommends you get a home inspection.
Also read the limiting conditions in your appraisal report. And also the www.ashi.com standards of practice.
So before you start posting again, get all the real and complete facts so you do not appear like a writer sarms with no knowledge.

sarms

Hey moron, instead just blabbing and posting topics why don't you take some time and read what I posted. Follow your own advice so you don't look like a writer. Of course, I don't have a case. I'm not the one who is suing the person. He is suing me, what state do you live in so I can warn my friends not to hire you?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">