• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being sued, please help?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

batorideikou

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania.
Well I posted here about 5 months ago saying that Discover Card was planning on suing me and what to do about it. An atty wanted $1000 to file bankruptcy, which I did not have, and here we are 5 months later and I got served papers a week or two ago saying Discover was suing me. Now, they told me I have 20 days to answer, and my question is: what does this mean? Do I have to pay something? Do I have to file something? I don't know, I've never gotten sued before, and I don't plan on getting sued again. How do I go about "answering"? I can't goto jail on a civil matter or anything can I? I know you can't goto jail for not paying debts, but can you for not "answering"? Also, I was told by the bankruptcy atty that even if I had judgements against me in this state that they could be turned back if I filed. I assume this is also true, unless he's blowing smoke? Thanks for any help you can give,
Brad

cmorris

You are answering whether or not this is your debt or not. If you ignore it, you get a default judgment. Creditboards.com has a special forum for people getting sued. I suggest you head there and your local courthouse to see sample answers to lawsuits.

No, you will not go to jail. Tons of people would be there otherwise!

If you do get a judgment, you can include it in BK. But I'd file soon before the new laws start. If you are going to file, do it now before it becomes more difficult.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">