• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

being sued, what to do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

batorideikou

What is the name of your state? PA
Being that I've never been sued before, I have no idea what to do with this. Discover has sent a lawyer after me, and there's a trial or whatever in Sept, but I got served with documents saying that I have to send an "answer" by June 18th or else they "may place a judgement against me by default, and it may result in loss of my rights or property or both".
Okay, a few questions:
1) How do I go about filing this "answer" and can I do it by mail, etc? What is an "answer", what does it consist of? And if I were to not file one, what would happen?
2) I own nothing at all of value, the only thing I have is a car whose title is in my name, and it cost me a whopping $200 (a beater), so is there something to protect my property to the giant value of $200? I mean can I stand to actually lose anything at all? When I say I own nothing of value, I mean nothing, this computer is prolly the most expensive thing I own, and it's probably depriciated to about $300 by now, it's 2 years old. I don't own a house or property or anything of that sort.
Also, could anyone let me know if they know of someone CHEAP to file bankruptcy with in PA? I want to before the deadline of that bill that goes into effect, but the lawyer that I've consulted with so far is like $1000, 500 up front 500 afterwards, and I don't understand how they expect to have $1000 if the person is broke to begin with.
Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated.

marbol

FWIW said:
[...] If you dispute that you owe the money, you should most certainly file a response or appear in court. But if you do owe the money, do nothing.

[...]
That sounds like about the worst advice I've ever heard of. Are you a lawyer? Getting a judgement by default IMO is stupid.

Attempt to settle out of court. Tell them the situation and see what they will do. Don't let them get a judgement. That will go on your credit report as a public record - and it's bad like a tax lien - when creditors look at it.

Answer the lawsuit. Don't just do nothing. But try to get them to drop the lawsuit in exchange for a settlement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">