• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

being sued

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kflint

What is the name of your state? large Vermont
my question is: about 7 years ago, and elderly member of our family sold his house, and built one here for us, with the idea that he would live with us till death. We agreed to it, but after a year of residing with us, we caught him trying to rape my niece, and had to ask him to leave. Because my neice was only 2 at the time, we had no "physical" proof, and she couldn't testify so we could not prosacute. the house is totaly in our name, mortgage, taxes, insurrance, etc, and we already owned the land it's built on, also a choice of his, as he didn't want the responsiblity of taxes and insurance etc. The only proof he has that he built this house is a few cancled checks made out to the contractors, we have agreed to pay him 300$ per month, which was signed by him, and written up by a lawer, also noterised, to support rent etc. hereby living up to our end of the bargan which was to "take care of him till death" can he sue us for the total amount of the house? what legal rights does he have,and can he hold it over our heads?

Last edited:

HomeGuru

kflint said:
What is the name of your state? large Vermont
my question is: about 7 years ago, and elderly member of our family sold his house, and built one here for us, with the idea that he would live with us till death. We agreed to it, but after a year of residing with us, we caught him trying to rape my niece, and had to ask him to leave. Because my neice was only 2 at the time, we had no "physical" proof, and she couldn't testify so we could not prosacute. the house is totaly in our name, mortgage, taxes, insurrance, etc, and we already owned the land it's built on, also a choice of his, as he didn't want the responsiblity of taxes and insurance etc. The only proof he has that he built this house is a few cancled checks made out to the contractors, we have agreed to pay him 300$ per month, which was signed by him, and written up by a lawer, also noterised, to support rent etc. hereby living up to our end of the bargan which was to "take care of him till death" can he sue us for the total amount of the house? what legal rights does he have,and can he hold it over our heads?
**A: have a real estate attorney review your documents and the title report.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">