• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being sued?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

scaredinMI

I live in Michigan, and about 2 years ago my brother's ex-girlfriend left my house (which was rented) and got into a accident. She was convicted of DUI. (She was also under 21) The people she hit(they are all fine) are suing everyone that was at the house (4 people) and the party store that may have sold to her. I did not provide anything to her,(she had a fake ID)and it wasnt a party. She drove herself to the store! And actually I didnt know exactly how old she was.
I havent got my "court papers" yet. Only one person has so far and she lives in Florida, but the rest of us are listed on the papers.
Do they really have a chance to get anything from me? And should I wait to contact a attorney when they find me? I know nothing about civil suits!! Any advice?????

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Did she take your car? Did you give her permission to take your car? Because if you did, you CAN be liable.

Don't wait to get an attorney. See if this could be dropped before it goes any further.

Try attorneypages.com

S

scaredinMI

No she used her own car, not mine or anyone elses. I really didnt think they could go after me. I figured maybe the party store and/or her mom, whose name was on the car

L

lawrat

The people who are liable:

1) owner of the car -- herself
2) owner of the store who sold alcohol to an underage person.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">