• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

being taken advantage by the city

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

michaeljl

Hi I live in a northern california city, my family has rented a resturant in this city for the past 30 yrars. 2 years back the building was sold to The City for redeveliment (durring that sale a large sum of money was set aside for my grandmother to recive at the time of her retirement. 2 months ago she notified the city of her retirment. Sinc then my sister and took all the steps to take over the business, transfer the liquer lic extc...... my problem is with the city and negtiating a new lease. We submited the city a purposel witch they countered and we accepted! I have the offer and aggremnt on bolth part saved in an email. The problem is now they don't want the deal they say we need it voted on by city councle, which is understandable. My big problem is they said we could store all of our property in the building for 30 days after the 1st, on the last day of march at about noon they told us we could leave it untill the councle votes april 13th. At 7pm that night (in the middle of my grandmothers retirement party) they called back and said we had to get everything out by 5pm the next day or we they will veiw it as abanded. We got out everything we could but there was no way to move all the refrigeration units stoves tables chairs bar stools... pretty much everything of value. There are still a lot of possibilites, us getting the lease, us geating our stuff out. I was hopeing someone could give me advice on what my leagal rights are now. Someone please help me and let me know. Thanks and sorry for the spelling errors this was wrote from my phone. Thanks again

Andy0192

You should hire a local attorney.

If there's a liquor license involved, as well as a continuing business, it would seem there's more than a little money on the line. Don't risk trying to do this yourself and ending up with nothing.

Seek qualified legal help. You've already gotten yourself backed into a corner trying to do things on your own.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">