• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bench warrant! Please help!!!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

clucka

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California.

BENCH-WARRANT!! HELP! In 2008 I got a wet reckless...I paid $700.00 in fines, completed my AA meetings, but never did my 300 community service hours. It's now 2015. I want to go clear this up..But afraid I will be thrown in jail..I don't know who to talk to for help as I cannot hire a lawyer as I am broke...Can anybody please help????

quincy

BENCH-WARRANT!! HELP! In 2008 I got a wet reckless...I paid $700.00 in fines, completed my AA meetings, but never did my 300 community service hours. It's now 2015. I want to go clear this up..But afraid I will be thrown in jail..I don't know who to talk to for help as I cannot hire a lawyer as I am broke...Can anybody please help????
Here is a link to your 2010 thread, clucka, where you were seeking help before your hearing on a restraining order:

https://forum.freeadvice.com/domestic-violence-abuse-38/fighting-restraining-order-tomorrow-help-525826.html

If you went to court in 2010 to fight a restraining order, and you were not thrown in jail over the 300 hours of community service you failed to complete for the wet reckless in 2008, why do you think you would be thrown in jail now? Is there a warrant for your arrest?

TigerD

Start by going and doing your community service hours. There are lots of places in California that need the help. Volunteering is good for you, good for the community, and the court will be more inclined to give you a chance if you are doing what you were supposed to do.

TD

clucka

Start by going and doing your community service hours. There are lots of places in California that need the help. Volunteering is good for you, good for the community, and the court will be more inclined to give you a chance if you are doing what you were supposed to do.

TD
I can't do community service until the court re-assigns my hours to another place to do the hours. It has to be on the list of valid places to go, and the court makes paperwork you need to bring. You cannot just go anyplace to do it, and it has to be approved.
The restraining order thing wasn't in traffic or criminal court years ago, and when I went I learned they don't check for warrants in that court.

OHRoadwarrior

Try for a legal aid lawyer to liaison with the court and try to get them to assign your hours while putting a stay on the arrest warrant.

OHRoadwarrior

I agree, however, they may delay the proceeding until he has proof he completed the hours since he met all the other obligations. He does not appear to have the money for bond should they require it. if he appeared first.

Unless OP shows to court, I would not expect the court to recall the warrant.

davew128

Not for nothing, but unless you had to go through the probation department, you should be able to do the hours at any non-profit.

CdwJava

Not for nothing, but unless you had to go through the probation department, you should be able to do the hours at any non-profit.
Community service hours are generally monitored through the county Probation Department as they are imposed as part of a sentence, and they can approve or disapprove of the particular volunteering. Much of the time I legitimate non-profit will qualify, but, I cannot say that all of them will.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">