• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

bench warrant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

slh9712

What is the name of your state? Indiana

My drivers license has expired. If I go to have it renewed and there is a bench warrant iour for me, does the bureau of motor vehicles notifiy the police that you are at the department of motor vehicles at that moment?

JETX

Not really. If you go to renew your license and they run you through the NCIC or local and find an outstanding, the won't "notify the police", a uniformed officer will arrest you right there.

S

slh9712

A uniformed officer will arrest you at the site? And, is it standard to run you through those systems for renewal?

JETX

Most states have strengthened the requirements to gain the PRIVILEGE of driving, and this includes a search for outstanding warrants, unpaid taxes, child support, etc.

However, no one knows beyond a doubt what checks may or may not be done in your particular case. My suggestion.... either take care of the warrant before you renew... or take your chances that you won't get caught.

As for on site, yes. Most if not all state licensing offices are staffed with state troopers or local police officers, so IF you go to the office to renew AND if that office checks for warrants AND if that office is staffed with officers, you could be arrested on the spot. If the last is not done..... I would imagine that your request could be refused and you detained or directed to the appropriate authority.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">