• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

bench warrant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

freedom111

What is the name of your state? California. Hi, I am wondering what happens when they issue a bench warrant against you because you have missed a court date. Does this mean that the police will come to your house and arrest you? Or does this mean that when you get stopped by the police for whatever reason on the street they they will aresst you? :confused:

garrula lingua

Depends - what was the underlying charge for which you were in court ?

In some counties, law enforcement is aggressive about doing bench warrant round-ups now and then - even for misdemeanor offenses.

You will probably (99.9999%) get jail time for failing to appear - better to turn yourself in and clear your affairs for some time, than to be snatched when you haven't prepared for a jail vacation. At least you can try to cover your job and your bills, your car not impounded for 30 days, etc.

freedom111

Well, I got aressted for drinking in public and I did community service but I failred to appear for the 200$ fine cause I don't have the money. So doe sthis mean they will come to my house? Or will it just be one of those things where if they stop me on the street for whayever reason I will be aressted.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">