• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

beneficary dies before insured

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

crkjones

I live in Louisiana. I lived with this man for 19 years. I was the beneficiary of a life insurance. Somehow my mother became the beneficiary. We did not know how or when. I paid for this policy all those years. My mother died before he did. After his death, I tried to claim the insurance. I was told about my mother being the beneficiary. First, I was told to get a notarized letter listing all my mother children giving me the claim to the insurance, which I did since she did not have a will. Now they are telling me that i cannot get the insurance because there were no contingecy name for the beneficiary. Therefore, his family will received the money and not the named beneficiary family, even though I paid for the insurance. Is there anything I can do to receive the insurance money? Am I entitled? Do Louisiana have the common law spouse after so many years? Any help would be greatful. Please tell me what I could do.

G

gooberitiz

First there is NO SUCH THING as common law marriage, UNLESS you have everything listed as Mr & Mrs._______.

Anything you bought with this man out of Joint money is joint property and is yours not his families, but you have to prove it.

even though I paid for the insurance...........

If you paid for the insurance out of a Joint checking account, you might have some relief here. How your mother got on the policy is wierd, is your name and hers similar?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">