• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

beneficiary and marriage (his) question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kevlan23

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

The father of my daughter is married. I want him to take out a life insurance policy for the benefit of my daughter. (We were never married.) How do i make sure that if something happens to him that his wife or any children from his current marriage cannot claim any benefits from this policy?

Thank you in advance.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

mmmagique

Take him back to court and ask the judge to add that to the child support/visitation decree. It's not that unusual these days.

Good luck!

~Christina

ErinGoBragh

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

The father of my daughter is married. I want him to take out a life insurance policy for the benefit of my daughter. (We were never married.) How do i make sure that if something happens to him that his wife or any children from his current marriage cannot claim any benefits from this policy?

Thank you in advance.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
To answer your central question, if he's the owner, you would have to ask him to name your daughter irrevocable beneficiary. It's also possible that if a judge orders the policy taken out, the judge could order him to place your daughter as irrevocable beneficiary. Or, as was said, you could take out a life policy on him with his permission, pay the premiums, and name whoever you want. Or take one out on yourself with your daughter as beneficiary. Then you have full control, and no courts need to be involved.

Bottom line: if dad takes out policy himself with your daughter as bene without a court order or daughter as irrevocable, you have no control over who he names as bene.

nextwife

To answer your central question, if he's the owner, you would have to ask him to name your daughter irrevocable beneficiary. It's also possible that if a judge orders the policy taken out, the judge could order him to place your daughter as irrevocable beneficiary. Or, as was said, you could take out a life policy on him with his permission, pay the premiums, and name whoever you want. Or take one out on yourself with your daughter as beneficiary. Then you have full control, and no courts need to be involved.

Bottom line: if dad takes out policy himself with your daughter as bene without a court order or daughter as irrevocable, you have no control over who he names as bene.
That's what I did upon becoming a parent, obtained life policies on both of us with myself as owner. That way, I have total control over that policy, and can make certain of both beneficiary designation and that the payments don't default..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">