• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Beneficiary Change

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

REDNOVEMBER

New York

I'll make this as short and comprehensible as possible.
Dad has life insurance policy through work. Dad has been married 3x.
3 children from 3rd wife have always been listed as beneficiaries. As dad did not keep any contact with and also signed off on adoption for other children from previous marriages. Daughter from 1st marriage and daughter from 2nd marriage come into picture and Dad decides to list them as well (1997) Aug 12 2005 Dad calls daughter from third wife (me) and asks for help correcting a form because a new company has taken over policies and has sent solicitation form back to him for correction. One day later Dad goes into hospital, life ins policy form sits incomplete. Daughter from first marriage comes into town gets hold of life ins policy takes to Dad in hospital to sign (nothing filled in on paper, per a witness present) says she will take care of it for him, and lists herself as sole beneficiary... Obviously, I have contacted an attorney and ins. company has been notified. What chance do we have?

Dandy Don

You have posted to the wrong message board--please delete your posting and repost your message on the LIFE INSURANCE message board.

Look up the phrase "interpleader action" on a search engine. You will also need an attorney who is familiar with filing such interpleader actions against insurance companies. It was very smart to have notified the insurance company that this is going to be contested so that they won't automatically go ahead and pay the other party.

It's hard to know how your case will turn out since we can't see the documents involved, but you probably have a good chance of stopping the daughter from first marriage.

Did the form require notarization? Does his signature look genuine or forged? Is it possible he was under the influence of medications while in the hospital that would have made him susceptible to outside influence by the daughter?

It's obvious that this greedy witch criminally and falsely took advantage of an opportunity to cheat everyone else out of their fair share. What is the value of the policy, and are you prepared to pay a few thousand in attorney fees to defend this case?

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

REDNOVEMBER

New York
Our family attorney said "This case will have to be litigated and that it will be hard to prove that my father didn't change his mind last minute.
There is the issue of the girlfriend of 20 years who my dad lived with but kept all of his finances seperate from. The girlfriend and the daughter from first marriage are in on the plan together. Dad left house to girlfriend. House has a mortgage of $18,000 left on it. In the end, girlfriend gets house free and clear that dad paid on for 10 years and bitch daughter gets money left. Bitch daughter also had my dad sign executorship (which was my brother his only son) of will over to her 3weeks before he died . The life insurance policy is worth 59,000. Bitch daughter wants to put money into estate, which will be soaked up by another 25,000 in debts. She doesn't care about that money, because her and girlfriend have already drained my dad's savings account (without his consent.) Sick about this. Feel like it's all my fault because I didn't get over to help with that life insurance policy the day he called.
But, thanks so much for your reply. It's actually a comfort to know that I'm not the only person who has been wronged. I say let them have the money, what goes around comes around. I'll be able to sleep at night.

Dandy Don

She doesn't have to put the money into the estate, but if she doesn't know this, then you should hope and pray that this is what happens. You WILL be in line to get some of this money after the debts are paid off, IF there is a will that names you as beneficiary, and you will inherit even if there is no will, whenever someone takes the step to open this up for probate.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">