• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Beneficiary Changes when someone is ill

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mich216

What is the name of your state? California

My grandmother is terminally ill and has one life insurance policy. The policy is for $5000 which is not much but my other cousins are the beneficaries and there is 4 desiganted which 2 are under 18. My family does not have money and my mother has been taking care of my grandmother and has a full power of attorney. My questions is, can we change the beneficary as a power of attorney? We really need to use the life insurance to cover my grandmothers burial costs. My grandmother can not speak and she is in the final stages of Alzhiemers, so she can not authorize the beneficary change.

Thanks,

Michelle

Dandy Don

No, you cannot use POA to do a beneficiary change--that would be abuse of power of attorney. About all you can do is to ask the beneficiaries to chip in and voluntarily contribute to pay the funeral cost.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">