• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Beneficiary Deed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

beegee1

Hi -

My mom (dad has passed) has set up her home with a beneficiary deed to me, brother, and sister.

So when mom passes the ownership will transfer to us.

My sister has bad credit, judgments, etc. against her.

Will those judgments attached to the property as a whole or just to her third interest?

Thanks!

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Hi -

My mom (dad has passed) has set up her home with a beneficiary deed to me, brother, and sister.

So when mom passes the ownership will transfer to us.

My sister has bad credit, judgments, etc. against her.

Will those judgments attached to the property as a whole or just to her third interest?

Thanks!
How will you inherit? TIC or JT? What state are you in?

beegee1

Arkansas.
Honestly I am not sure TIC or JT.
Do they have different consequences for her judgements?

thx!

zddoodah

Just her interest.

The problem is that the property won't be saleable without all three of you agreeing and, if your sister finds out she'll get less or nothing from a sale because her interest is encumbered, she may be reluctant to cooperate. In other words, while only her interest will be encumbered, it could still cause problems for you and your brother.

I suggest you talk with your mother about this. If she shares your concern, then she may want to consult with an attorney about undoing what's already been done (if possible) and possibly creating a trust to hold title to the property. The trust could sell the property after she dies, and the three of you would get your shares of the sale proceeds. Your sister's creditors might still be able to get something from her, but it wouldn't be as likely to impact you and your brother.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">