• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Beneficiary doubt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kevancc

Hi everyone,

This website has been really helpful lately for me but I have a question I can't find an answer to..

What is the upon death tax difference of making a Revocable Living Trust (Texas) the beneficiary on my Term Life insurance policy versus a family member as the beneficiary?

Looking forward to hearing from you all

Kevan

LdiJ

Hi everyone,

This website has been really helpful lately for me but I have a question I can't find an answer to..

What is the upon death tax difference of making a Revocable Living Trust (Texas) the beneficiary on my Term Life insurance policy versus a family member as the beneficiary?

Looking forward to hearing from you all

Kevan
Life insurance is not taxable income. Why do you want your trust to be the beneficiary? What are you trying to accomplish in doing that?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
There is no income tax difference. Assuming you both own the policy and paid the premiums on it then the death benefit paid under the policy is not taxable income to the beneficiary. There may be an estate tax difference in having the insurance paid to a spouse rather than someone else, however.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Life insurance is not taxable income. Why do you want your trust to be the beneficiary? What are you trying to accomplish in doing that?
One possibility is that he/she wants the insurance proceeds divided up among several people, which can be easier to do via a trust than trying to make several people a pay on death beneficiary of the insurance policy.

LdiJ

One possibility is that he/she wants the insurance proceeds divided up among several people, which can be easier to do via a trust than trying to make several people a pay on death beneficiary of the insurance policy.
I realize that is one possibility, but I had hoped that the OP would give us his/her specific reason.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">