• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

beneficiary ex-wife

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shinerfirst

What is the name of your state?nNC
I took out a life insurance policy on my husband in 1992. He files for divorce in 1999 and it was finalized in 2000. He has recently passed away in july 2005. I sent the insurance company everything they requested and now they want a copy of the divorce decree. I dont understand this at all. I am the policy owner and the named beneficiary on the policy. I never missed a payment all those years. Is there reason for this? My children from this marriage are now taking the financial burden of his funeral expenses and need help in this. Please help.

BelizeBreeze

shinerfirst said:
What is the name of your state?nNC
I took out a life insurance policy on my husband in 1992. He files for divorce in 1999 and it was finalized in 2000. He has recently passed away in july 2005. I sent the insurance company everything they requested and now they want a copy of the divorce decree. I dont understand this at all. I am the policy owner and the named beneficiary on the policy. I never missed a payment all those years. Is there reason for this? My children from this marriage are now taking the financial burden of his funeral expenses and need help in this. Please help.
They want a copy of the divorce decree to insure that you aren't pulling a fast one. Many divorce property settlements require a party who is the owner of a life insurance policy to change the beneficiary as a matter of the division of assets.

Send them what they request.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">