• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Beneficiary Issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hhurley

Pennsylvania
My father passed away - on his life insurance policy he still had his parents listed as the beneficiaries - they have both already passed as well. My mother is having much trouble trying to claim the policy. Any advice? The insurance company directs us to the county and the county directs us back to the insurance company. Thanks.

anteater

In what capacity is she trying to make the claim? As the surviving spouse or as the personal representative of his probate estate?

Generally, if the named beneficiary(ies) are deceased, the proceeds will be paid to the probate estate.

ErinGoBragh

I agree with ant. At this point, if there was no secondary beneficiary, this is going to need to go through probate.

Dandy Don

Your mother needs to go to the county courthouse probate court to get the paperwork to open up probate. This is a simple process that she can probably do herself if she is fairly business savvy, but if she does not have the time to take off of work she can hire a probate attorney to do it or at least consult with a probate attorney during the probate process if she has any questions or concerns.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">