• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Beneficiary of Life Insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Chleelis

What is the name of your state? DE

My husband and I have been separated for 7 years. We never filed for divorce and have three adult children. He lives in Delaware and I in SC. He has named his girlfriend and mother as beneficiaries of his life insurance. Because I am still his legal wife, if he were to die before there is a divorce, can I contest his beneficiary? As far as I know, there is no will.

Thanks!

C

CALIF-PROLAW30

Chleelis said:
What is the name of your state? DE

My husband and I have been separated for 7 years. We never filed for divorce and have three adult children. He lives in Delaware and I in SC. He has named his girlfriend and mother as beneficiaries of his life insurance. Because I am still his legal wife, if he were to die before there is a divorce, can I contest his beneficiary? As far as I know, there is no will.

Thanks!

My response:

Are you paying for the policy? No? Then he can "gift" his property to whomever he nominates. Delaware is not a Community Property State. Your situation wouldn't work in California, for example, which is a CP State.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">