• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Beneficiary question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

amalwaysl8

What is the name of your state? Tennessee
I have a life insurance policy through my employer and my husband and my only child, a daughter from a previous marriage, are listed as the beneficiaries. They are to split the insurance money in the event of my death. My question is this: If my husband and I die at the same time, would my daughter then be the sole beneficiary of the entire amount of the life insurance or would she get half and the other half be left to my husband's son from a previous marriage as he would then become my husband's sole heir due to my death?

ErinGoBragh

Did you put Per Stirpes anywhere after his name? Or anything about his son? If not, it will go all to your daughter.

Last edited:

Dandy Don

This something you need to be discussing with your insurance company and your husband (does your husband have a last will and testament that would name his son and your daughter as beneficiaries of his estate?).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">