• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Beneficiary Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zumapuma

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
Hi:

A friend of mine received a very strange letter today from AGL saying that a life and accident endowment policy taken out by her mother will mature in January 2009. The letter was addressed to her mother. Her mother has been dead for 16 years.

My friend called AGL and was told that the policy was taken out in 1935 and the premiums were completed in 1975. They would not tell her anything else about the policy except that her mother's FATHER (my friend's grandfather) is the named beneficiary. This man has been dead a very long time.

My friend is the sole heir of her mother's estate and was the executor. She has never seen any such policy nor has received any correspondence from this company until this letter.

She has sent them the death certificates of her mother and grandfather, but we are wondering who is the legal beneficiary of this policy? Would it be her mother's estate or her grandfather's estate?

I appreciate your help in this matter.

Zumapuma

Some Random Guy

Your friend needs to provide the insurance company with proof that they are the executor for the estate. The beneficiary willl depend on who dies first and whether they had a will.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">