• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Beneficiary Responsibility Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

georgiagirl007

What is the name of your state? Georgia

I have been estranged from my mother and brother for 8 years now. When my mother passed away in January, I was contacted by a life insurance company. On one of her policies, the money was split between me and my brother. I have had no part in the funeral arrangements, and I have not in any way tried to pursue claiming any part of her estate. I did make the claim on the life insurance policy. I have now received an email from my estranged brother stating that I am obligated to foot half of the funeral expense bill. Like I said, I did not have any part of the funeral arrangements, and I signed no documents with the funeral home. Am I legally obligated to pay half of the bill?

Dandy Don

If she left a last will and testament that is being probated, the executor is responsible for paying the funeral bill from the assets in the estate. You are not REQUIRED to pay the funeral expenses, but if there is no estate it would be a nice gesture for you to offer to pay half the bill as a responsible family member--why should he carry the entire burden when this is a family responsibility?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">