• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

beneficiary to life insurance annuity

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

piggygirl

I am a NY state resident. My deceased brother lived in Arkansas had a life insurance annuity which I am the beneficiary. I filled out a Non Qualified Annuity Claimant’s Statement sent by the insurance company. After they processed my Claimant's statement I received a letter from them stating they have processed the form.
On their letter they referred to me as the deceased party and not my brother. In the body of the letter they offered their sympathy to the deceased party again in my name and not my brothers name.

I called them and asked what is going on with them in naming me as the deceased party and not my brother. They said it was a typo error and they would be sending to me a letter of retraction and a letter of apology which I would get within a few days. I asked them if they reported me as the deceased party to any government agency and they said no, again it was a typo error.

For an insurance company to make this type of mistake, is not a small error. I am planning to wait about a week for the letter of retraction and a letter of apology, then I am seriously thinking of reporting them to both NY and Arkansas insurance boards. I'm concerned about this type of error creating a waterfall affect, it something was not checked properly when I brought this to their attention.
What legal actions do I have against this careless company? In my understanding this error is larger then identity theft.

LdiJ

I am a NY state resident. My deceased brother lived in Arkansas had a life insurance annuity which I am the beneficiary. I filled out a Non Qualified Annuity Claimant’s Statement sent by the insurance company. After they processed my Claimant's statement I received a letter from them stating they have processed the form.
On their letter they referred to me as the deceased party and not my brother. In the body of the letter they offered their sympathy to the deceased party again in my name and not my brothers name.

I called them and asked what is going on with them in naming me as the deceased party and not my brother. They said it was a typo error and they would be sending to me a letter of retraction and a letter of apology which I would get within a few days. I asked them if they reported me as the deceased party to any government agency and they said no, again it was a typo error.

For an insurance company to make this type of mistake, is not a small error. I am planning to wait about a week for the letter of retraction and a letter of apology, then I am seriously thinking of reporting them to both NY and Arkansas insurance boards. I'm concerned about this type of error creating a waterfall affect, it something was not checked properly when I brought this to their attention.
What legal actions do I have against this careless company? In my understanding this error is larger then identity theft.
Its not a problem unless they actually reported you to a government agency as deceased. Until or unless that happens, you have nothing to report.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">