• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Beneficiary vs Will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

russell29

What is the name of your state? Washington
My step father just recently passed away. He had a life insurance policy which designated the beneficiary as either his daughter or his ex-wife. My mom's name is in the will as who he would leave his estate to. Is it possible for my mom to be the one who would receive the money from the insurance policy?What is the name of your state?

BelizeBreeze

What is the name of your state? Washington
My step father just recently passed away. He had a life insurance policy which designated the beneficiary as either his daughter or his ex-wife. My mom's name is in the will as who he would leave his estate to. Is it possible for my mom to be the one who would receive the money from the insurance policy?What is the name of your state?
Nope. Not at all. Insurance passes outside of probate.

Mom is SOL.

nextwife

It is entirely possible that his divorce decree required that he keep ex named as insured, especially if there were minor children at the time of divorce.

Sigh......

I will NEVER understand why women don't just go themselves and make SURE they have at least one life insurance policy in place that protects them if hubby dies. Preferably that they themselves own, and control beneficiary designation.

So, ladies and men who are reading this: Be PROACTIVE. Get a life policy in place to protect in the event of a spousal death, male or female, even if YOU buy and pay for it! And DO NOT depend solely upon a single employer provided plan - life insurance is cheaper than it's ever been and any plan you own is not lost if you lose your job.

Betty

Life insurance passes outside the estate (unless estate is bene) - the proceeds will go to the bene(s) named in the policy to do with as they wish.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">