• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Beneficiary

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MsConnie012397

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan
I recently got married, and want to keep my son as beneficiary on my life insurance. Does my husband have to sign any waiver for this to be legal? Also the same question for my 401K?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Dandy Don

There is no need for a waiver from your husband. All you need to do is report the name change to the insurance company and to the 401K company, and you may also want to attach a certified copy of your marriage license to each letter as proof of the change.

ShyCat

The beneficiary of a 401(k) is always the spouse, per ERISA, unless the spouse signed a waiver. Your husband will have to sign a waiver for your son to remain the beneficiary.

Not sure about life insurance. Group plan or individual? Seems like one group plan I had did require a spousal waiver, and another did not. Probably plan specific, not something required by any particular law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">