• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Beneficiary

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shanetta02

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
My mother died recently. She had a will stately she wanted everything dividely by one-fourth. She left the life insurance policies beneficiaries to her sister and my daughter to divide because my brothers and I were arguing. My aunt and my mother's best friend were made executors in the will. She wanted to make sure her boys were received a fair share of the insurance policies. My aunt decided the insurance policy was hers and divided the policy with the two boys. I do not know if she divided it fairly with them.She said my daughter and I were staying in the house. We were getting everthing. My mother's house has a loan on it which my daughter and I are having to pay. The taxes are coming up and we will have to pay those. The boys are not paying those but will still have one-fourth of the house.

I paid the premium on the policies for the month of June, July, and August while my mother was in the hospital to keep them from lapsing. My mother had policies on everyone in the family. I ask my aunt to reimburse me for the payment and she refused. If I had not paid the payment, she would not have the check to cash. What can I do?

Dandy Don

Sorry, but there is nothing you can do. The money belongs only to the named beneficiaries. This is a mistake that your mother unintentionally made. Perhaps she was not aware that she could have named AS MANY PEOPLE AS SHE WANTED to be beneficiaries. The will has no legal influence in this matter. It's a mistake that happens quite frequently.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">