• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Beneficiary

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

skip a beat

I live in Missouri, and my brother passed away. His insurance policy is in our mother's name. She passed away 16 years ago. My brother had a male friend and he named his friend as heir to his estate but not on the insurance. My mother named my brother and me as heirs of her estate and if my brother or I died her estate was to go to the other. Because my brother's friend wasn't family, and my mothers name was beneficiary who will recieve the money? James

S

skip a beat

Frank, my brother died 2 months ago. Him and Paul shared a house. My Mother died 15 years ago and her will states that if Frank or I died that the other (if there was no issue)would inherit her estate. Frank stated in his will that Paul should get the house and all of the furnishings because of joint ownership. Frank had no childern Frank's insurance has our mother as beneficiary. Who would get the insurance from Frank. Because I am the only living child of our mother and the policy was made out to her, would I inherit,or would Paul who is the executor ? James

ALawyer

What I am confused about is who inherited the house and other property, such as the life insurance policy, at your mother's death. If her Will said Frank and you own the house as as joint tenants, with right of survivorship, then the house was presumably left to you and your brother held in joint tenancy with right of survivorship by your mother under her Will. If that Will was filed for probate years ago and that is how the deed reads, you should inherit the house -- but not its contents -- by operation of law.
On the other hand, if the Will said he gets it if he survived her, he owned it, and he could have left it to anyone he wanted in his Will.

As for the insurance, your explanation is not clear either. Who paid the premiums all these years? Who inherited things under her estate? Who is the named beneficiary.

PLEASE see a lawyer fast to go thru these things. Someone needs the papers to tell as your explanations are baffling.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">