• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Benefit Discrimination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mjmcg

What is the name of your state? Kentucky

My employer subsidizes it's employees' parking. Exempt employees pay $9 for parking and non-exempt employees pay $7. This appears to be some type of price descrimination. Is it legal for them to subsidize less for exempt employees, even though we all park in the same lot?

Betty

Yes, it's legal for them to charge one class of employees (exempt) one charge for parking & another class of employees (non-exempt) a different charge for parking.

Beth3

What is the name of your state? Kentucky

My employer subsidizes it's employees' parking. Exempt employees pay $9 for parking and non-exempt employees pay $7. This appears to be some type of price descrimination. Is it legal for them to subsidize less for exempt employees, even though we all park in the same lot?
Yes, it's perfectly legal. If they wanted to, they could have parking differentials based on letters of the alphabet. Employees whose names start with A pay $24, employees whose names start with B pay $21... If you're lucky enough to have a name that starts with Z, you'd only pay $1. :)

pattytx

Yes, it's perfectly legal. If they wanted to, they could have parking differentials based on letters of the alphabet. Employees whose names start with A pay $24, employees whose names start with B pay $21... If you're lucky enough to have a name that starts with Z, you'd only pay $1. :)
Boy, am I glad I went back to my maiden name, then. :D

Betty

Is there no letter of the alphabet that gets free parking? :D

Reactions: cbg

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">