• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

benefits claim

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mement

Is the ex-wife entitled to work insurance benefits?

What is the name of your state? NH

About a year and half ago, my father was killed in an accident. At his employment, he had a pension, insurance [double indemnity] etc...My sister and I are from his first marriage, and we were not listed on the forms. My two younger siblings are from his second marriage, and they are listed. The second wife divorced him before his death, but she is still listed on the forms along with my younger siblings.

My question is whether or not I can contest the second ex-wife's rights to the benefits, and would a judge be able to at least deliberate that? I do not think she is entitled to any money since they were divorced, she was cheating on him with another woman, and she tried to take the real estate after his death even though the divorce decree had stated otherwise. Numerous times she said that everything would be split amongst the four children, but at the time she also said the house was hers.

There was not a will. I received a letter that stated that my sister and I had asked that she be the administrix of the estate. I never asked her nor did my sister. My grandmother had told me that there was a will, that the ex-wife was in charge, and that everything went to my younger siblings. Initially, I had believed my grandmother, but I now know that she was mistaken or misleading.

In my mother's divorce decree, it stated that he had to pay for half of my college education, which he never did. Can I at least put that in as a claim against the estate?

I have no problems with my younger siblings getting the money, but I would like to contest the ex-wife's claim. Can I?

Thank you.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">