• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Benefits not available to certain employees.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

genevahunt

NC
I worked for a cable company for several years that offered services to all their employees who lived within their service area. However, I did not live within the service area during my employment with the company. I was not offered or given cpmpensation or other benefits equal to the value of the service that others in my company recieved based on their place of residence. Is there any form of discrimination or should I have received some form of equal compensation?

The benefits: The benefits included free digital cable and internet. Also included were discounts on movies and digital phone. I estimate over the course of my employment I missed out on $6000 worth services they offered.

Last edited:

Beth3

Is there any form of discrimination Sure - but it's perfectly legal discrimination.

or should I have received some form of equal compensation? Nope. Not unless the company wanted to do so.

How about explaining what sort of service you're talking about? That might change the answers above.

HomeGuru

NC
I worked for a company for several years that offered a service to all their employees who lived within their service area. However, I did not live within the service area during my employment with the company. I was not offered or given cpmpensation or other benefits equal to the value of the service that others in my company recieved based on their place of residence. Is there any form of discrimination or should I have received some form of equal compensation?
**A: what specific service are you talking about? Why would the company spend money and go outside of their designated service area to serve you for free? How were you discriminated against?

wyett717

The benefits: The benefits included free digital cable and internet. Also included were discounts on movies and digital phone.
I'm guessing it would be difficult for the company to offer these to you if you didn't live in the area that services were provided.

I estimate over the course of my employment I missed out on $6000 worth services they offered.
They are not obligated to offer these services to anyone; they were a bonus to all employees who were eligible to receive them. Since you lived outside of their service area, you would not be eligible.

Antigone*

You have the option to take advantage of the services if you so choose. If it meant that much to you, then you could have moved within the service area.

I work for a bank and am offered a free checking account. If I choose not to take advantage of the bank's free offer and I bank somehere else, then it is at my cost.

You're in the same boat my friend.

genevahunt

The company still has to pay the expense of the materials and labor to support the free services offered to their employees. In addition, the company is losing the revenues from the employees that no longer pay for the service.

I am trying to confirm that I have no recourse being that the company is still taking a hit by reducing revenues for services they are offering. The company is financially affected by giving away their services to the employees who live in their service area who would otherwise be paying customers. If the company is willing to not receive the revenues for certain employees, would it be discrimination to not pay the expense of those employees not living within the service area.

It seems to me it's the fact they they are willing to offer a benefit that reduces their revenues in addition they still have the expense of supporting the free services for half the employees and but yet not giving equal benefits to those who they can't offer the same to because they don't own the cable lines. They are only willing to be financially affected for the benefit for half their employees and therefore is discrimation.

I atleast thought it was worth bring up the issue, would hate to find out I had some recourse and never looked into it to ask the question.

Last edited:

Antigone*

The company still has to pay the expense of the materials and labor to support the free services offered to their employees. In addition, the company is losing the revenues from the employees that no longer pay for the service.

I am trying to confirm that I have no recourse being that the company is still taking a hit by reducing revenues for services they are offering. The company is financially affected by giving away their services to the employees who live in their service area who would otherwise be paying customers. If the company is willing to not receive the revenues for certain employees, would it be discrimination to not pay the expense of those employees not living within the service area.

It seems to me it's the fact they they are willing to offer a benefit that reduces their revenues in addition they still have the expense of supporting the free services for half the employees and but yet not giving equal benefits to those who they can't offer the same to because they don't own the cable lines. They are only willing to be financially affected for the benefit for half their employees and therefore is discrimation.
Your assertion has been confirmed ~ at this point if you do not want to move into the coverage area, you have no recourse.

This is yet another example of life not being fair.;)

Beth3

I am trying to confirm that I have no recourse being that the company is still taking a hit by reducing revenues for services they are offering. You have no recourse.

The company is financially affected by giving away their services to the employees who live in their service area who would otherwise be paying customers. That's the company's decision to make.

If the company is willing to not receive the revenues for certain employees, would it be discrimination to not pay the expense of those employees not living within the service area. It would not be any form of prohibited discrimination. If they want to give free lunches to all employees who live in odd-numbered houses and never give free lunches to employees living in even-numbered houses, they can.

They are only willing to be financially affected for the benefit for half their employees and therefore is discrimation. Most types of discrimination are perfectly legal. If I don't want to hire left-handed people, I can lawfully do so because left-handed people are not a protected class. Same goes for employees living outside their employer's service area.

Your options are to either move into the service area and take advantage of the benefit your employer is offering or just let this go. You are not due any compensation from your employer because you are unable to take advantage of this benefit.

HomeGuru

**A: you raised a good point, especially in this economy. Recommend to the company to discontinue offering such benefits.

######

I atleast thought it was worth bring up the issue, would hate to find out I had some recourse and never looked into it to ask the question.

**A: cutbacks are needed at your company.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl

Okay, you've raised the issue. You have no recourse. Are we quite clear on this point now?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">