• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Benefits not being offered to all

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dfunk

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois - I work for a Construction company. The field crews are union and the office is non-union. Through the years, some of the crew members were promoted into the office and withdrew from the union. The owner now wants to put these office workers back into the union so they can get more paid into their pension plan. Their job description has not changed. The rest of us are not being offered any kind of alternative benefit. Is this legal? Doesn't the owner have to offer Equal benefits to all in the office?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
That's not quite how the law reads. The law does NOT say that all employees have to be offered exactly the same benefits - it says that any difference in benefits cannot be based on characteristics protected by law.

When you asked your union about this, what did they say?

dfunk

That's not quite how the law reads. The law does NOT say that all employees have to be offered exactly the same benefits - it says that any difference in benefits cannot be based on characteristics protected by law.

When you asked your union about this, what did they say?
Have not contacted the union as I am not nor have I ever been a member. Perhaps that is an option

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">