• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Benefits while under someone else's roof?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jimnyc

What is the name of your state? New York

My son's friend moved in with us several months back. She was kicked out of her own home in Indiana when she came out as transgender. My son asked for help and I couldn't help myself but to help. I know it may have been a dumb costly decision, but it's too late for that now. She's been here for approximately 3 months now.

(Fwiw, I have in fact spoke with her sister and her mother. Not nice people but enough confirmation on various facts for me.) And after that, my main concern was her safety and well being.

The issue isn't supporting her in the general sense as we have the finances to help feed her and give her a roof under her head, but not a whole lot more than that. But until she can find employment she will still need some money, some more food (she eats a ton!) & healthcare. We can certainly NOT afford to pay for her healthcare.

I looked around for healthcare options and any financial help for her and came up empty - seemingly all due to our household income numbers. But they don't seem to take into account what we already spend to live ourselves and cut it a little close.

Is there any chance at all of her receiving either health or financial assistance? And if anything at all, would it be Indiana or New York? We are above NYC in Westchester County.

Thanks!! -Jim

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? New York

My son's friend moved in with us several months back. She was kicked out of her own home in Indiana when she came out as transgender. My son asked for help and I couldn't help myself but to help. I know it may have been a dumb costly decision, but it's too late for that now. She's been here for approximately 3 months now.

(Fwiw, I have in fact spoke with her sister and her mother. Not nice people but enough confirmation on various facts for me.) And after that, my main concern was her safety and well being.

The issue isn't supporting her in the general sense as we have the finances to help feed her and give her a roof under her head, but not a whole lot more than that. But until she can find employment she will still need some money, some more food (she eats a ton!) & healthcare. We can certainly NOT afford to pay for her healthcare.

I looked around for healthcare options and any financial help for her and came up empty - seemingly all due to our household income numbers. But they don't seem to take into account what we already spend to live ourselves and cut it a little close.

Is there any chance at all of her receiving either health or financial assistance? And if anything at all, would it be Indiana or New York? We are above NYC in Westchester County.

Thanks!! -Jim
How old is the friend?

When a friend of my daughter's temporarily stayed with me she had to provide a letter to the welfare office from me, stating that she was renting a room from me and that our food supplies would be kept separate. However, she was a legal adult with an infant of her own.

jimnyc

How old is the friend?

When a friend of my daughter's temporarily stayed with me she had to provide a letter to the welfare office from me, stating that she was renting a room from me and that our food supplies would be kept separate. However, she was a legal adult with an infant of her own.
She is 20 years old, and has no children. I am pressing for employment but being from Indiana, barely any possessions, no money to speak of, never was employed before. So obviously will be working at minimum wage most likely at a local store, if she's lucky. And even then it likely won't come with health benefits. And I would imagine that even if it did come with benefits it could take quite some time. But I doubt she gets more than PT. But paying some things on her own and having access to a doctor for emergencies would be fantastic.

Thanks much for your reply!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Working part time should also allow her to go to school to work towards bettering herself and her prospects. Is she doing that?

Pinkie39

Medicaid is not going to take your household income into account, unless you claim her on your taxes as a dependent. Is Indiana a Medicaid expansion state under the ACA though? If not, the eligibility requirements for Medicaid may be much more strict.

As far as food stamps, whether she can get them on her own may be dependent on her age. Here in Ohio, if a young adult is under 22, and lives with a parent or guardian, it someone acting in that capacity, they cannot get food stamps/SNAP on their own. Indiana may differ in that regards.

But keep in mind that many states require someone who is an able bodied adult without dependents to be working or doing another approved activity for at least 20 hours a week to receive food stamps and/or Medicaid.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
She is 20 years old, and has no children. I am pressing for employment but being from Indiana, barely any possessions, no money to speak of, never was employed before. So obviously will be working at minimum wage most likely at a local store, if she's lucky. And even then it likely won't come with health benefits. And I would imagine that even if it did come with benefits it could take quite some time. But I doubt she gets more than PT. But paying some things on her own and having access to a doctor for emergencies would be fantastic.

Thanks much for your reply!
Then she is a legal adult. Have her look into Medicaid. She may not qualify now, but may in the future.

https://nystateofhealth.ny.gov/

LdiJ

Medicaid is not going to take your household income into account, unless you claim her on your taxes as a dependent. Is Indiana a Medicaid expansion state under the ACA though? If not, the eligibility requirements for Medicaid may be much more strict.

As far as food stamps, whether she can get them on her own may be dependent on her age. Here in Ohio, if a young adult is under 22, and lives with a parent or guardian, it someone acting in that capacity, they cannot get food stamps/SNAP on their own. Indiana may differ in that regards.

But keep in mind that many states require someone who is an able bodied adult without dependents to be working or doing another approved activity for at least 20 hours a week to receive food stamps and/or Medicaid.
Indiana has the Healthy Indiana Plan which is basically extended Medicaid although adults have to pay a very small premium annual premium for prescription coverage.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Indiana has the Healthy Indiana Plan which is basically extended Medicaid although adults have to pay a very small premium annual premium for prescription coverage.
However, the person in question has left Indiana. While she has resided with OP in NY for 3 months, it is unclear when she left Indiana.

It sounds like she is on the road to establishing residency in NY state, so NY would be the place to get health insurance.

It would also be worthwhile for OP's son's friend to look up support groups in Westchester County. A support group might have some locally relevant suggestions, as sadly she is not the first to go through familial rejection.

Pinkie39

However, the person in question has left Indiana. While she has resided with OP in NY for 3 months, it is unclear when she left Indiana.

It sounds like she is on the road to establishing residency in NY state, so NY would be the place to get health insurance.

It would also be worthwhile for OP's son's friend to look up support groups in Westchester County. A support group might have some locally relevant suggestions, as sadly she is not the first to go through familial rejection.
You're right, I completely missed that part about her living in NY now.

jimnyc

Zigner - She is interested in schooling, preferably some form of culinary education. The fears are taking on any debt prior to having any income. But I agree with you and why I also have pushed the idea, as well as work.

Pinkie39 - thanks so much for the information! We will not be listing her as a dependent. The 20 hour activity is yet another good reason to push for employment. She is in NY now and claims she never wants to go back again. I've explained the importance of family, and how time can heal, but she's not ready to hear any of that.

not2cleverRed - thanks for the added information about Medicaid.

I will pass along all the great information, including the support groups. Thanks much, everyone!

LdiJ

Zigner - She is interested in schooling, preferably some form of culinary education. The fears are taking on any debt prior to having any income. But I agree with you and why I also have pushed the idea, as well as work.

Pinkie39 - thanks so much for the information! We will not be listing her as a dependent. The 20 hour activity is yet another good reason to push for employment. She is in NY now and claims she never wants to go back again. I've explained the importance of family, and how time can heal, but she's not ready to hear any of that.

not2cleverRed - thanks for the added information about Medicaid.

I will pass along all the great information, including the support groups. Thanks much, everyone!
If she is interested in culinary education she might explore whether or not there are any groups that provide culinary education to people needing help. There is an organization in my state that "rescues" food. They take donations of food that is close to expiration, but still not expired and donations of other foods stuffs and prepares meals that are provided to shelters and low income daycares and other organizations. This organization provides over 1 million meals a year.

Along with that, they have a culinary school that provides lunch every day to the employees and volunteers for the charitable organization. They learn to prepared all kinds of foods from elegant and fancy to short order type foods. Potential donors are often invited for lunch (which is how I learned about them, my boss donates). As part of the culinary training they get a couple of weeks of life training as well.

I would not be surprised if similar types of organizations existed in other states as well. In fact, I would be surprised if they did NOT exist in other states as well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">