• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

benefits working for a non-profit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jolen

What is the name of your state? California
I am employed by a non-profit organization in a professional position that requires a college degree. I am salaried, receive no overtime, am awarded no sick leave, no holidays and only 8 days vacation a year. Is this legal? Do I have any rights if I want to fight this?

mb94

There is no legal requirement for vacation time. That is up to the company policy. If there is a written company policy they must abide by that.

Not every employee is eligible for overtime it depends if you are exempt or non-exempt. If you are in an administraitive position and have a level ot self-direction it is very likely you are exempt but you can google search for the guidelines and see if they apply to you.

If you want a job that has more benefits then go get one somewhere else.

Beth3

If you are an exempt employee (which is what I presume you mean by "salaried"), then you must be paid in full for all weeks in which you work - and that includes any weeks in which a holiday falls. So while they aren't obligated to give you any holidays per se, if they're closed for Memorial Day (for example) and you work T-F that week, they must give you a full paycheck - they can't deduct a day's pay for the holiday you didn't work.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
However, if by "no holidays" you mean that they do not provide any holidays off and you work on the days most people have off, sorry, but that is entirely legal.

The law does not dictate that employers provide vacation time, sick time, or any other paid leave off. The only qualification is as Beth has described.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">