• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Best Course of Action

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

3kidneys

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
ARIZONA

My sister inlaw has a young baby, under 1, and lives with the father and his family(mother, father, and brother).

She did not marry the father and now wishes to leave the father and his family situation. This is due to the relationship having deteriorated and the environment is perceived as not being suitable for raising a baby. She wants to take the baby with her and move on with her life.

There are many other details of course, but I am looking for advice within AZ law that can set her on the correct path to pursue a solution.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

nextwife

Yes, she can move out to her own place and take her child. Not sure what you mean by "move on" with her life"? He's not her spouse, she need not live with him, and he has no say over her finances, etc. But they will be tied together for at least the next 18-25 years because they have a child together , and dad will have a legal right to file to share custody of his child and to co-parent his child.

Is paternity legally established?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
ARIZONA

My sister inlaw has a young baby, under 1, and lives with the father and his family(mother, father, and brother).

She did not marry the father and now wishes to leave the father and his family situation. This is due to the relationship having deteriorated and the environment is perceived as not being suitable for raising a baby. She wants to take the baby with her and move on with her life.

There are many other details of course, but I am looking for advice within AZ law that can set her on the correct path to pursue a solution.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
When she leaves, she will need to plan it cautiously. There is the possibility that the father and his family will physically prevent her from taking the child with her if they have the chance to do so. The police generally will not help in that situation.

FarmerJ

If she is in fear of abuse then the best thing is to literally walk away from personal property and go to a womens shelter and use what ever resources they have to assist with starting over and also getting paternity and support established.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">