• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Best Used By Problem

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zhelnov

Hello everyone!

I faced the following problem. I am living in Russia by now and out here in I bought a food supplement Lipo 6 Black from the USA's Nutrex Company. Product had been produced in USA. At the bottom of packaging there's a sign: "Best Used By 07/2016". I bought it yesterday (01.09.2016). Is that means that the product is expired? What the term "Best Used By" means?

And one more question. When Russian companies perform a purchase from abroad and then sell the products in Russia they must glue the special sticker above the original packaging that contents all the information about the item in Russian language. There is a sticker on packaging that I bought. But it tells me that the date at the bottom of the packaning is date when the product had been produced. Is this contradiction possible?

I will be glad for any answer.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'm sorry, but this forum is for US law matters only. You will need to seek legal assistance from an attorney in your own country.

ETA: Personally, I don't use products after their "Best Used By" date.

adjusterjack

If you bought it mail order, send it back unopened for a refund or exchange.

If you bought it locally, take it back to the store unopened.

If you haven't used it there's nothing to litigate. If you have used it, don't use it again and just toss it in the trash and accept the loss.

That stuff is probably snake oil anyway.

quincy

Here is a link to the US Department of Agriculture with definitions for the terms "sell by," "best used by" and "use by":
http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/wcm/connect/19013cb7-8a4d-474c-8bd7-bda76b9defb3/Food_Product_Dating.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

A "sell by" date is an instruction to a store from the manufacturer of the product on how long the store should display the product.
A "best if used by" date relates to the flavor and quality of a product, which may lessen over time.
A "use by" date is the date set by the manufacturer of the product as the recommended last date to use the product.

None of the dates refer to the safety to a consumer if the product is used before or after the dates. It is recommended, however, that consumers follow the "use by" date and not use the product after that date.

More important than the sell and use dates are the types of products beings purchased and the handling of the products once purchased. If you leave raw chicken on the counter for 3 days, for example, it doesn't really matter if the use by date is not for another four days. And if you are taking unregulated health supplements, you can experience side effects regardless of when you use them.

Seeking medical advice prior to taking a food supplement is advised. This applies to both those in the US and those in Russia.

(I had some time to kill :))

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">