• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Better to file for CH7 before Judgement(s)?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? CA

I know I'm coming close to being served a summons (from what I've gathered here & @ other sites) that said...

I have 5 unsecured debts that I'm unable to pay (long time looking for work, since getting layed off post 911 in NYC). So far, I've sent out 3 Debt Val. Letters in response to CA letters & have yet to hear back from any by mail.

Currenty I have no paycheck coming in & have zero assets (have been living through family support for the last year).

So as I look for work hoping to stave off BK I've got to pony up...

SHOULD I JUST FILE FOR CH7 ? before I get a summons or worse, a judgment???

THANK YOU for any feedback.

bigun

You're better off filing before a judgment is returned. It'll save time and legal fees because once the bk is discharged, you'll need to return to court and get the judgment vacated.

bigun said:
You're better off filing before a judgment is returned. It'll save time and legal fees because once the bk is discharged, you'll need to return to court and get the judgment vacated.
THX.

Would it be alright (allow enough time) to wait until I receive a Summons before I get an atty. & file? -or- Is it simply smarter to file before I receive anything?

bigun

I'd file prior to being sued. That way you don't have to go through the motions of serving both the court and the plantiffs lawyer with a notice of the bk filing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">