• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

bf-4th degree assault

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

graelwyn

What is the name of your state? Bf's state-Kentucky

I am posting here as I dont know where else to find help.
I am an English girl with a bf who lives in Kentucky.
Yesterday he I had a cell phone text to say he was going to jail.
Just over a month ago he got into a fight with some guy who has pushed him and the guy has pressed charges.
I know he will be facing charges of 4th degree assault.

I am very upset, obviously, and very scared at this sudden event.
He has a past conviction from when he was a lot younger of 3rd degree manslaugher...self defence.

I have been told by someone the charges arent likely to stick.
This did, after all happen a month ago and was provoked.

But I really want more information on what is likely to happen as I am almost totally in the dark here. Bf hasnt been able to talk to me since the arrest and all the info I have comes from calling the place he is being held at.

What can I expect, as right now I am just expecting the worst. Please advise me. :(

NYMinute

you're in England and have a boyfriend in the US??
He'll probably get off on technicality. If there are no witnesses....he may get probation or 6 months at worse in jail..
You dont really have many details so it's hard to tell.

graelwyn

more details.

Hi, yes I am in England and have a bf in the USA...we met online, and were supposed to be meeting soon.

As to details, I know only what he told me after it happened. He was viewing apartments in a block and some guy tried to push him so he got the guy to the floor and sat on him. The guy tried to punch him a few times and my bf said he slammed him against a wall a few times before leaving. That is all I know. He did say that the guy was trying to get him into jail for it but said he didnt think it would happen.

Obviously, I dont know much about law over there, other than that it is pretty strict... I dont even know how long it is likely to be before it is all sorted and he is either sentenced or released. I am hoping someone will get him out in bail. The bond is $1500 and I have been told only 10% if that is paid up front.

I am just finding all this very painful and confusing as obviously, being stuck here in uk,I cant find out much or do much.

Is there some way I can do that? Like send him the $150 and find a bondsman or whatever it is called, for him over there?

rmet4nzkx

You have met someone on the internet, someone you have never met who also is admitting to be a convicted murderer, manslaughter is the same thing and now assult. Please, cut off all contact with this man, change your internet id etc. There is a scam of criminal and prisoners soliciting foreign brides and relationships over the internet, send him no money, let him manage his own affairs or contact family or friends for bail. You can do better than this and no. he will not be able to sponser you to come here or get a green card if he made any promises.

Crazed98

graelwyn said:
Hi, yes I am in England and have a bf in the USA...we met online, and were supposed to be meeting soon.

As to details, I know only what he told me after it happened. He was viewing apartments in a block and some guy tried to push him so he got the guy to the floor and sat on him. The guy tried to punch him a few times and my bf said he slammed him against a wall a few times before leaving. That is all I know. He did say that the guy was trying to get him into jail for it but said he didnt think it would happen.

Obviously, I dont know much about law over there, other than that it is pretty strict... I dont even know how long it is likely to be before it is all sorted and he is either sentenced or released. I am hoping someone will get him out in bail. The bond is $1500 and I have been told only 10% if that is paid up front.

I am just finding all this very painful and confusing as obviously, being stuck here in uk,I cant find out much or do much.

Is there some way I can do that? Like send him the $150 and find a bondsman or whatever it is called, for him over there?
Online relationships never work.

Happy Trails

rmet4nzkx said:
You have met someone on the internet, someone you have never met who also is admitting to be a convicted murderer, manslaughter is the same thing and now assult. Please, cut off all contact with this man, change your internet id etc. There is a scam of criminal and prisoners soliciting foreign brides and relationships over the internet, send him no money, let him manage his own affairs or contact family or friends for bail. You can do better than this and no. he will not be able to sponser you to come here or get a green card if he made any promises.
This is very good advise. You have no way of knowing if this guy is being honest with you or not.

graelwyn

hmmm

This is a legal advice site, ok. I came here seeking advice on what to expect, I did not ask anyone to pass judgement on my choice of boyfriend. He was 17. The manslaughter was self defence. This guy jumped him with a knife, just what would you do if someone was sat on top of you with a knife, trying to steal your $7 pay? Just sit there and let them kill you? I dont think so, somehow.

This post isnt about me,I am perfectly aware of the dangers of meeting people online and am also aware of many people who are successfully married after meeting online lol. all I was asking was what outcome I can expect for this crime and I am jumped on as soon as I say how I met this man.

rmet4nzkx

graelwyn said:
This is a legal advice site, ok. I came here seeking advice on what to expect, I did not ask anyone to pass judgement on my choice of boyfriend. He was 17. The manslaughter was self defence. This guy jumped him with a knife, just what would you do if someone was sat on top of you with a knife, trying to steal your $7 pay? Just sit there and let them kill you? I dont think so, somehow.

This post isnt about me,I am perfectly aware of the dangers of meeting people online and am also aware of many people who are successfully married after meeting online lol. all I was asking was what outcome I can expect for this crime and I am jumped on as soon as I say how I met this man.
You received advice that is appropriaye to the situation, go ahead, send money for bail, you will never see it again, it will either be the last time you hear from him or you will keep sending him money with no relationship at all. You can't believe his story, it is never going to be the truth. Try to check out his story, oops you won't be able to do that if he was 17.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">