• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bible Study

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

RPM

What is the name of your state? PA.

The company I work for have a Bible Study each week at
lunch, but our lunch is only half an hour long and the Bible Study
last hour. Workers that don't go to it say it not fair and maybe
not legal because they have to go back to work while they are still at the Bible Study and that they are being paid for it. Does
anyone know any laws about this? thanks

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Need more information.

Is the Bible study voluntary?
Can anyone join who wants to?
Do you KNOW that employees who participate are being paid for the time?
Does the employer permit any other types of gatherings on company time? Has anyone ever asked?

R

RPM

The Bible study is voluntary, and as far as I know anyone can join. But I do know they are being paid for the extra time spent on the Bible study, even the head of the plant is there. I don't
know of any other gatherings go on doring company time that
dosen't have to do with company business.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
As long as this is voluntary and anyone can join who wants to, I can't think of any laws that are being violated.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Simply, if they are being paid to study the Bible, and you don't want to join in the study group, then that's fine. You can get paid by doing your regular work during that second half hour.

It's the boss' prerogative, and he does so at his pleasure, who he pays for doing what - - whether that he pays for regular business work, or for studying the Bible. It's your boss' money, and he can spend it in any manner he chooses.

Why don't you join, and introduce the Torah to them, and start acting like a good Jewish person! That will rock their world!

Light a candle for me. I'm feeling a bit "mashuga" today.

IAAL

B

Born to Lease

question: is it legal to bring religion into the workplace? Does this person not have a legitimate point? what if the Bible Study is offensive to his/her religious beliefs??? I am going to watch this one, just out of curiosity!

I don't have any advice, as I always just assumed it was not legal to bring religion into the work place. Guess I will learn to quit making assumptions, huh!

Oh, just a side note: I am a Christian and having daily Bible Study would be a welcome event for me, as long as it was not based on any opinions, religions, etc. JUST BIBLE study and studying the facts included in the Bible itself. On the other hand, I am sensitive to the fact that not all people believe in or want to study the Bible, and I am all for equal rights to choose.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

It would be unlawful if the Bible study was in the work area, and non-studying employees were subjected to others' religious beliefs.

However, our writer's scenario concerning Bible study is being done in the "lunch room" for one hour, and away from the rest of the employees who choose to stay away from Bible study.

Here's an example of how religion in the workplace CAN be unlawful - -

Supervisor made it clear to Employee that he was a born-again Christian who believed that he had been sent by God to save as many people from damnation as he could. In his conversations with Employee (all of which occurred at work while Employee was on duty), he continuously interjected religious observations and quotations from the Bible, and spoke to Employee about her salvation in a manner that led her to conclude that he considered her immoral. He ultimately told her that she had a choice to follow God's way or Satan's way, and that she would not continue working for him if she chose the latter. A jury could reasonably find the work environment was hostile and abusive. [Venters v. City of Delphi 123 F.3d at 975]

IAAL

B

Born to Lease

Is this true even in the event the employees are being paid wages for the 1/2 hour they are not performing duties associated with their job? Or would that be considered job tasks since it is sponsored by and held by head of dept.?

Last edited:

HomeGuru

Born to Lease said:
Is this true even in the event the employees are being paid wages for the 1/2 hour they are not performing duties associated with their job? Or would that be considered job tasks since it is sponsored by and held by head of dept.?

**A: I suggest you read the post by IAAL again.

I tried to send you an e-mail...option not available. Please read my post "2weeks no pay..." If you have advice, please reply...or send e-mail to address noted on my post. Thanks...sorry to include this message on this person's post but need help! Thanks!
**A: I sugesst you refrain from continuing to hijack other writer's threads to encourage responses to your thread.

R

RPM

I am also Christian and so are many of the people I work with
that feel that people are using this to get out of work. We are
very busy at the company I work for with over 100 employees.
most of us have no problem with Bible studies at lunch but it is
when it goes a lot longer that causes problems, its when we have
to cover for them. Sure you can say why don't you join them, but
there is favoritism, some would have to make their time up others
do not. This is the main reason that I am looking to see if it
is legal.

B

Born to Lease

RPM said:
I am also Christian and so are many of the people I work with
that feel that people are using this to get out of work. We are
very busy at the company I work for with over 100 employees.
most of us have no problem with Bible studies at lunch but it is
when it goes a lot longer that causes problems, its when we have
to cover for them. Sure you can say why don't you join them, but
there is favoritism, some would have to make their time up others
do not. This is the main reason that I am looking to see if it
is legal.

I agree with you 100% and as much as I would like to "take a spiritual hour" during some of the work days I have had whenever time is spent on activities other than performing the required tasks associated with the job it takes NO TIME to get behind...and like you mentioned the point of favoritism, that is stress that can seriously affect job performance. Daily endurance of showing up to work in an atmosphere that is uncomfortable can affect a person's life in many aspects.

I wish I had an easy solution but, right now with the job market the way it is, you really need to be 100% certain that you secure other employment/income BEFORE you let this get you to a point of unbearable. I would LOVE to have a job right now and, with the exception of being in danger or the job causing harm to myself or my family, I would do whatever it takes and would put up with any and all B.S. just to have a job and an income.

Jobs are very scarce right now. The reports are very misleading, as this is an election year and the improved status of our economy and unemployment rates are really not as the politicians are hoping we will believe. Quite the opposite is true! I would not want to tell you to join the BS Group but if I were you I would consider every option, and include the pro's and con's of not only the job but also the fact that you have a job! Good Luck!!!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
To answer the question that was posed above, no, it is NOT illegal to bring religion into the workplace.

What would be illegal would be to discriminate, on the basis of religion, in the workplace.

If this Bible Study were exclusive, and only certain employees could join, or if it were mandatory, then it could be seen as discriminatory towards religion. If that were the situation, you might have a case. But it's also possible to be discriminatory against religion; if employees were allowed to have sports calendars and vacation memorabila and pictures of their pets on their desks, but the employee with the Bible on her desk was told to take it home, that would be discriminatory against religion, which would also give that hypothetical employee a case. It cuts both ways.

In this instance, the only objection anyone seems to have is that it's not fair for them to be paid for that half hour. Well, since you could join the group as well, any argument that it's discriminatory goes out the window. And if it's not discriminatory, it's not illegal.

Do I think it's smart or appropriate for the employer to sponsor a Bible Study during working hours? No, frankly, I don't, and I'm a Christian as well. But I'm just not seeing any way you can legally force them to either stop the Bible Study or to make the second half hour be unpaid, under the circumstances you describe.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">