• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.


Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



I live in Florida. I have been married for 2 years and 4 months. My husband has been incarcerated in Federal prison for very close to 2 years (Aug 11). I knew that he was going to prison when I married him. A long time apart and conversations revealing prison had not changed him (like it should anyone) have caused me to start the divorce process. I have had papers drawn up by a paralegal service and have revised them over twice (made additions) to meet his approval. I have been dealing with this process for 3 months now. He has been moved around to 3 facilities in this time. I have not heard from him since his last request and the only way to communnicate is if he calls me. I have tried writting him with no response.

Is there anyway for me to be divorced without his signature?

Would bifurcation of the marriage be an option?

Help, I feel like I am being taken for a ride.


It's my understanding that bifurcation refers to separating the entry of a judgement disolving the marriage from the judgment dividing the property. The purpose would be to allow the marriage to be disolved at the earliest time. The determination whether to bifurcate or not depends on the facts of the case.

I'm sure it won't be difficult to locate your husband. Given that he is being moved within the prison system he has a paper trail. Once located he will be served the divorce papers in prison. You should consult an attorney.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential