• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Big time dealership is acting shady

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nka1995

So right now I’m in Colorado where the vehicle was “purchased”. Back in 02/20/2018 we went to a well known dealership because the used car they sold us was basically dangerous to drive in (would turn off randomly), and we wanted help because they sold it to us promising it was safe. That vehicle was under my name, they said they could switch it out no problem and gave us the ONLY option as purchasing a new car with them. My husband and I agreed and in this case with the new contract he was the primary buyer and I was the co-signer. Well we asked them if we were financed, they reassured us that we were. The day we drove off we ask that they not run our credit any more. Well for the next month or so they continued to run our credit which in turn caused both my husband’s and my credit to drop dramatically. By this point it was 3/20/2018 and they had not yet financed us (side note, they stated in their contract that they had 10 days to finance us otherwise the car needed to be returned). We kept receiving rejection letters but no letters indicating a successful financing deal. We finally got fed up because the car really wasn’t ours, my husband and I decided to willingly return is on 4/11/2018 at which point we are told it was fine that they would need a couple days to find our old vehicle, which I was ok with, since I had technically still been paying for that vehicle (I have receipts from me paying it still in February and March). Later that day we received a call stating that we HAD to take the new car and sign a new contract. I told them I no longer wanted the vehicle, at which point the sales manager stated “that’s not how it works”. Now they are forcing us to take the new vehicle but we don’t want to. What can I do? Did they technically break their own contract?

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
So right now I’m in Colorado where the vehicle was “purchased”. Back in 02/20/2018 we went to a well known dealership because the used car they sold us was basically dangerous to drive in (would turn off randomly), and we wanted help because they sold it to us promising it was safe. That vehicle was under my name, they said they could switch it out no problem and gave us the ONLY option as purchasing a new car with them. My husband and I agreed and in this case with the new contract he was the primary buyer and I was the co-signer. Well we asked them if we were financed, they reassured us that we were. The day we drove off we ask that they not run our credit any more. Well for the next month or so they continued to run our credit which in turn caused both my husband’s and my credit to drop dramatically. By this point it was 3/20/2018 and they had not yet financed us (side note, they stated in their contract that they had 10 days to finance us otherwise the car needed to be returned). We kept receiving rejection letters but no letters indicating a successful financing deal. We finally got fed up because the car really wasn’t ours, my husband and I decided to willingly return is on 4/11/2018 at which point we are told it was fine that they would need a couple days to find our old vehicle, which I was ok with, since I had technically still been paying for that vehicle (I have receipts from me paying it still in February and March). Later that day we received a call stating that we HAD to take the new car and sign a new contract. I told them I no longer wanted the vehicle, at which point the sales manager stated “that’s not how it works”. Now they are forcing us to take the new vehicle but we don’t want to. What can I do? Did they technically break their own contract?
As none of us can see your contract from here, we'd be hard pressed to know whether they violated any terms of the contract. But since you have the contract with you, tell us what part of the contract do you think they broke?

nka1995

So part of the contract from their part was that they had 10 days to finance us otherwise they’d contact us and we would have to return the vehicle. I’d also like to add that we wouldn’t have heard from them about a new deal if it weren’t for the fact that we went back to return the vehicle and keys.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
So part of the contract from their part was that they had 10 days to finance us otherwise they’d contact us and we would have to return the vehicle. I’d also like to add that we wouldn’t have heard from them about a new deal if it weren’t for the fact that we went back to return the vehicle and keys.
That is a strangely worded contract.

Of course, that is NOT what the contract says, it's only your interpretation of what the contract says...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">