• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

BILL Collectors

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jeff69

What is the name of your state? MI

I stopped paying my credit card balances this month and I'm trying to hold off filing chp 7 for as long as I can but I'm getting bombarded with phone calls from my credit cards. I told each one that the check is in the mail.

Question 1: Based on anybody's experience in this board, will they stop calling till the next due date or will they call again after realizing that the check won't be coming?

Question 2: When will they start using bill collecting agencies?

Question 3: Has anybody here experienced bill collectors going to their homes to collect the payments and when did that happened after you stopped paying?

The reason I'm asking is that I don't want my Landlord to find out. He might throw me out in the street.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

bigun

Just get caller ID and be done with it. If you're really going to file, no need in getting involved in a conversation. They likely won't turn it over to 3rd party collectors until chargeoff in 6 months. Nobody will knock on your door unless you've a loan out to a local finance company. In any case, the landlord can't toss you unless you don't pay the rent.

JETX

"Based on anybody's experience in this board, will they stop calling till the next due date or will they call again after realizing that the check won't be coming?"
*** Depending on the aggressiveness (and policies) of the creditors, the calls could hold off until the next due date but I doubt it. I would presume they will start anew as soon as they realize they have been lied to.

"When will they start using bill collecting agencies?"
*** Again, that depends on the creditors policies, but normally will start about 4 to 6 months after your breach.

"Has anybody here experienced bill collectors going to their homes to collect the payments and when did that happened after you stopped paying?"
*** Unless you live in a very small town and the creditor is your local butcher shop, I doubt that you will ever have direct contact with a creditor or collector (until the sheriff knocks with a summons or service of lawsuit).

"The reason I'm asking is that I don't want my Landlord to find out. He might throw me out in the street."
*** Do you have a current term contract ?? Are you current on your rent?? If yes to both, the landlord can't kick you out. However, if you are a month-to-month, the landlord can terminate your right to tenancy with a simple written notice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">