• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bill from Fire Department

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

U

UncaBuffalo

What is the name of your state?Fire took place in WI ; I live in ID.

Recently, I had a vehicle catch fire as I was driving thru WI. Someone called the volunteer fire department and they came and put the last of the flames out after it had burned to the frame.

Now they have sent me a bill...I do not have any kind of insurance and can't afford to pay this bill.

My question is : since I (1) didn't request their help and (2) received no benefit from their response (vehicle still burnt with all contents), do I HAVE to pay the bill?

(I DO feel some moral obligation to send them as much as I can afford, since they are performing valuable public service, but would like know what will happen if I can't pay the whole thing. Will I be arrested? ...sued? ...?)

ALawyer

I can't see how you would be arrested -- and although I don't know that state's laws, if they could even sue.

Usually local tax dollars are used to help support these volunteer services in part, and the fire fighters came not only to try to protect your life and property but also to help prevent larger fires that could endanger local property owners to suffer losses.

I would simply write to them and say you did not have insurance and can't afford to pay anything at this time.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

ALawyer said:
I would simply write to them and say you did not have insurance and can't afford to pay anything at this time.

My response:

". . . except for this $25.00 Cashier's Check in appreciation for your fine efforts."

Remember, they are a "volunteer" fire department.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">