• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Billing two customers for the same time

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FreeBooter

What is the name of your state? Indiana

I work as a service tech who travels to the customers location to repair commercial kitchen equipment. We have take home vans and travel from home to the first call of the day. My company advertises that we charge the customer for the travel time to get to their location which includes a set charge per mile traveled and then whatever time it takes to repair the equipment. Many times when I call in to close out (finish) a call the office will tell me to back the starting time for the next customer up so that even though I spent the last half hour at customer A's location, customer B is being billed for that time also.

So first I would ask if this is legal (I know it's not moral) and second if legal can or should we the tech's be paid for all of the billable time that our work orders show (even the overlapped time)? This would put me in overtime in three days easy.
Thanks for your time...

Last edited:

pattytx

What you should be paid has nothing to do with what you are billing. You need only be paid for the hours you actually work, including drive time from job site to job site.

I'll let someone else address the company policy of double billing. That is not an employment law issue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">