• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

binding offer?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mh in nc

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I would like to know if the following is binding to me...
I own a house with my ex-wife in Virginia and I have offered in
writing to give her ownership of the house for the remaining amount of the current mortgage under certain conditions
(her obtaining her own mortgage in her name only, paying all closing costs and attorney fees). She never accepted the offer in writing (but I didn't really ask her to, either, just to let me know
if she wanted to do this) but she did take initial steps in obtaining a mortgage. Since then her mortgage company sent papers but
there are some discrepancies that I or my lawyer are not comfortable with. I have reconsidered and would like to rescind my offer completely and sell the house at fair market value and split the proceeds per our divorce decree.
Am I still legally bound to follow through with my original offer?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">