• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Biometrics privacy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Brandond

So i worked for A in R illinois and they were being sued for biometrics privacy or something like that. It was 1000 dollars per violation per hand scan. It said contact a lawyer. Im lost on whats going on

Last edited by a moderator:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
So i worked for A in R illinois and they were being sued for biometrics privacy or something like that. It was 1000 dollars per violation per hand scan. It said contact a lawyer. Im lost on whats going on
It looks like it's still in the courts.

quincy

So i worked for A in R illinois and they were being sued for biometrics privacy or something like that. It was 1000 dollars per violation per hand scan. It said contact a lawyer. Im lost on whats going on.
What is going on is apparently A. in R. Illinois is being sued over privacy issues.

A. should probably contact an attorney.

Here is a link to the Electronic Frontier Foundation that explains the potential privacy issues with biometrics: https://www.eff.org/issues/biometrics

Zigner

What is going on is apparently A. in R. Illinois is being sued for privacy invasion.

A. should probably contact an attorney.
A & R both have attorneys ;)

OP wants to get in on the (class-) action

Zigner

Did he say that somewhere?

Here is a link to Barnes v. Aryzta: https://www.leagle.com/decision/infdco20171221896

I didn't realize this was something already in the courts. Brandond can contact the lawyer who is handling the case for Barnes.
Not specifically, but only because he didn't know how to say it. He wants to get his "... 1000 dollars per violation per hand scan", which is what the class-action suit is suggesting.

quincy

Not specifically, but only because he didn't know how to say it. He wants to get his "... 1000 dollars per violation per hand scan", which is what the class-action suit is suggesting.
I see. :)

It is generally the case that, if you receive notice that you have been identified as a (potential) member of a class action lawsuit and you do not opt out (perhaps wanting to pursue on your own a personal suit against the defendant), you are a member of the class action and could receive a nominal amount in compensation should the plaintiffs win the suit. The amount you receive is unlikely to be much, as class actions are less about compensation for the class members and more about forcing change through monetary penalties/fines.

The Plaintiffs are seeking declaratory judgment that defendant violated the Illinois Biometrics Information Privacy Act (BIPA), injunctive and other equitable relief, statutory damages under BIPA, attorney fees and costs, and any other relief the Court deems reasonable and just.

The Defendant's affirmative defenses include statute of limitations; doctrines of laches, estoppel, waiver, ratification and/or acquiescence; assumption of risk; good faith and substantial compliance; implicit consent by plaintiffs.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">