• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Birth Certificate Signing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JennaKing

My son was born when I was a teenager in North Carolina I have had never had contact with the biological father since 3 months gestation. There is not a father listed on the Birth Certificate. We now live in Georgia and my son is now 9 years old. I have been with my husband who he considers his father completely. He knows the truth of his biological father. He wants to be able to change his last name to my new last name and his fathers and brothers. Instead of having to go through the lengthy process of adoption and whatever else may arise with that. Would it be possible for my husband to be able to sign the birth certificate now and have it refiled?

Just Blue

My son was born when I was a teenager in North Carolina I have had never had contact with the biological father since 3 months gestation. There is not a father listed on the Birth Certificate. We now live in Georgia and my son is now 9 years old. I have been with my husband who he considers his father completely. He knows the truth of his biological father. He wants to be able to change his last name to my new last name and his fathers and brothers. Instead of having to go through the lengthy process of adoption and whatever else may arise with that. Would it be possible for my husband to be able to sign the birth certificate now and have it refiled?
Not unless your husband and you want to commit a felony.

xylene

This is the 21st century. DNA is not a lie. It will come out.

It SHOULD come out.

You need age appropriate counseling for the child and to get a lawyer involved to do an adoption right. Yes, if possible.

Don't do your son wrong like this.

LdiJ

That would be fraud. It would also be fake. I do believe however that the law would allow you to change the child's last name as you are the only parent listed on the BC. That would however require going to court. If you are going to do that anyway, you might as well do the adoption.

Just Blue

That would be fraud. It would also be fake. I do believe however that the law would allow you to change the child's last name as you are the only parent listed on the BC. That would however require going to court. If you are going to do that anyway, you might as well do the adoption.
You know that not true LD. Mom may be the only name listed on BC but paternity may have been legally established from Child Support proceedings. Mom was a teenager when Jr was born...she very likely was receiving state aid.

LdiJ

Reread what I posted. You will get it sooner or later.

One would think the OP would mention with such a post. I try to give OPs the benefit of the doubt before I think they are completely without a clue.
I still don't get it. She said she hadn't seen the father since three months after gestation. I took that to mean three months after conception. I realize she didn't write conception, but I am pretty sure that is what she meant. However, I gave her several suggestions in my post and I still don't know which suggestion you think is unlikely.

Just Blue

Reread what I posted. You will get it sooner or later.

One would think the OP would mention with such a post. I try to give OPs the benefit of the doubt before I think they are completely without a clue.
lol...I get it. Please excuse my stupidity...I am 2 coffees shy of a brain today.

Just Blue

I still don't get it. She said she hadn't seen the father since three months after gestation. I took that to mean three months after conception. I realize she didn't write conception, but I am pretty sure that is what she meant. However, I gave her several suggestions in my post and I still don't know which suggestion you think is unlikely.
And THIS is why blocking other member is silly. ^^^^^

PayrollHRGuy

Well, if you read my post you will see that I was agreeing with you and disagreeing with Just Blue. I quoted JB and the OP, not you.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Look, the fact is that Miss Jenna knows who the baby daddy is, and it's not her husband. So, knowing this, Miss Jenna would be committing fraud if she just amended the birth certificate to add hubby's name as the father, without going
through the lengthy process of adoption and whatever else may arise with that.
Miss Jenna would be better served by going
through the lengthy process of adoption and whatever else may arise with that.
Doing the right thing, legally, could be cheaper in the long run.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">