• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

birth certificates

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? Virginia

I am trying to get a birth certificate for my child who was adopted internationally. I have filed a petition with the court, but the clerk said that nothing would be done with it until an "order" was brought to the court. What is this order that I have to bring? I thought that all I had to submit with the petition and the proof of adoption and the legal birth certificate from the foriegn country. The adoption has been final for a year, I do not need any home study, etc., I just want a Virginia state birth certificate. Please help!


I assume the order is from the court that handled the adoption. The court sends an order to the state health department and then a new birth certificate is issued. Usually this is handled in the county of the child's birth. I can't imagine how this is done internationally.

If you had an attorney, ask him to look into this for you. It seems you may have "fallen through the cracks" and somebody forgot to do the paperwork.

I'm not a lawyer, I'm just guessing. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential