• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bizarre with Amex

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sean1397

What is the name of your state? Florida

This is a very bizarre situation.

I opened an Amex Blue card about 6 years ago. I used it and spent about $5000. My interest was to be 0% for 6 months and then 9.99%. Amex began to charge me 23.99% because they claimed I was late once. I was never later (If anything they slowly processed a check)

I wrote to Amex (CRR) several times disputing the change in interest, quoting my contract, etc. For months they did not respond. After about a year of arguing with them, I simply stopped paying the bills. I did send them a final payment (Endorse as full payment check, which they endorsed) along with a letter stapled to the check explaining the reasoning.

It is notable that Amex lost a multi million dollar class action suit for incorrect interest rates around the time this happened to me. I opted out.

In any case overall, I paid off my purchases and the interest at 9.99%. I did not pay off the extra interest or any fees after I stopped paying.

Amex did nothing for about 2 years. (I think I hit the statute of limitations in February)

After 2 years, they claimed I owed $9000 due to interest, late fees, and overlimit fees.

I refused to pay and explained to them why again.

They turned the account over to Zwicker and associates in Andover MA. They broke every collection law out there. They called and harassed me repeatedly. They harassed my mom. They threatened lawsuits. I asked them to verify my debt, to provide proof they were retained by Amex, and to send me the terms of the settlement they offered on the phone. They did not respond. They then sent me another letter demanding payment without any verification. At that point, I told them that they had broken laws A, B, C, etc and that if this went any further I would sue them immediately. In every letter I made it clear I was in discussion with my attorney.

I have also made it clear to Amex that I may sue for libel, deflamation of character, etc and it seems to have kept them at bay. Seems they'll leaev me alone if I leave them alone.

I received a letter from Risk Management Associates yesterday trying to collect this same debt. Does this mean Zwicker dropped it/ sold it?

How should I proceed? Should I simply start over with verification, etc with RMA?

If they should sue me, can I bring all the illegal proceedings before them into court in my defense?

Finally, if they get a judgement against me and I pay it in full, does it drop off my report?

The only good thing is I got this off my TU and Equifax reports by writing their CEO offices!

Thanks!

Sean

Ladynred

SOL in FL on credit cards is 4 years. If its been that long or more since last payment, the SOL has expired and RMA and others can go take a jump into the everglades with the 'gators.

You can go the route of Validation with RMA, I certainly would. Watch your credit reports though, they are bad about re-aging debts that get into their hands.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">