• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Blackmail/rape?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Wyomingdad

What is the name of your state? Wyoming

My wife has a child with a former partner. They had a brief consensual affair which my wife tried to end. One year ago on mothers day my wife allowed the ex to come to our house and then agreed to take the child and go with him to purchase a mothers day present. After the shopping was done he refused to take her and the child home, drove them to a secluded area and told her that he would not take her home until she performed oral sex on him. He also told her that if she did not do what he told her to that he would tell me about the affair and ruin her marriage and life. She complied.
This behavior occurred several more times, my wife was to afraid of his threats to tell anyone or report this activity even though it was against her will.

These events happened in the States of Wyoming and Utah.

I would like to know what the proper way to procede with reporting this behavior.

The ex boyfriend is currently on probation in the State of Utah for Domestic Violence charges against my wife.

quincy

My wife has a child with a former partner. They had a brief consensual affair which my wife tried to end. One year ago on mothers day my wife allowed the ex to come to our house and then agreed to take the child and go with him to purchase a mothers day present. After the shopping was done he refused to take her and the child home, drove them to a secluded area and told her that he would not take her home until she performed oral sex on him. He also told her that if she did not do what he told her to that he would tell me about the affair and ruin her marriage and life. She complied.
This behavior occurred several more times, my wife was to afraid of his threats to tell anyone or report this activity even though it was against her will.

I would like to know what the proper way to procede with reporting this behavior.

The ex boyfriend is currently on probation in the State of Utah for Domestic Violence charges against my wife.
It is up to your wife to make any report.

Edit: I appear to be your echo, Zigner. :)

CdwJava

She can speak to someone at the law enforcement agency or agencies where the acts occurred and report them. The agency of jurisdiction can then investigate and determine if they can forward any criminal charges to the local prosecutor. What she told you, and what she might tell the police could be different tales. Keep in mind that it might be very difficult to prove extortion here given the circumstances, but the devil is always in the details.

Tell her to report the incidents to the police and they can take it from there.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer

Was this before the marriage or during the marriage?

Has paternity been established? Is there any sort of custody/visitation legally established?

Isn't one of the conditions of his probation no contact with the victim? Or at least just contact limited to issues involving the child, assuming that he has established paternity and has a court order for some form of visitation.

quincy

Isn't one of the conditions of his probation no contact with the victim? Or at least just contact limited to issues involving the child, assuming that he has established paternity and has a court order for some form of visitation.
That is a standard condition of probation when there has been domestic violence.

It appears the wife permitted her ex to violate the terms (apparently more than once).

CdwJava

It could be that PEACEFUL contact is permitted. In many states it is common that the defendant will be permitted to have contact with the victim if they are married or have a child in common so long as it is peaceful. Whether that is the case here, we do not know.

quincy

It could be that PEACEFUL contact is permitted. In many states it is common that the defendant will be permitted to have contact with the victim if they are married or have a child in common so long as it is peaceful. Whether that is the case here, we do not know.
It would be unusual for someone who is on probation for domestic violence to be allowed unsupervised contact with the victim.

quincy

Unsupervised contact with the victim of domestic violence is commonly permitted in California for someone on probation for the domestic violence? Interesting.

LdiJ

Unsupervised contact with the victim of domestic violence is commonly permitted in California for someone on probation for the domestic violence? Interesting.
I think that he is talking about when children are involved...peaceable contact for the purposes of facilitating parenting.

quincy

Last edited:

CdwJava

Yes. If they have children together or are married, peaceful contact is generally permitted. If not right away, then after a short period or upon request of the victim. The victim is free to seek her own no contact order should she wish.

quincy

The new laws on domestic violence and probation in Utah, which went into effect May 8, do not seem to support unsupervised contact.

Wyomingdad's wife might have encouraged (or at least not discouraged) contact with her abusive ex, but I would bet the terms of his probation included a no contact provision.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">