• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Blind mand/guide dog thrown out of store!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cocobunny

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Ohio

I'm writting this on behalf of my friend....

My legaly blind friend was in Krogers (national food chain in Ohio) attempting to buy some water. He had his service animal on a leash, guiding him through the store. The dog never barked or growled, as he is trained not to. Basicly they were both minding their own buisness.

Security for the store approaches the blind man. He tells him "dogs" are not allowed in the store. The man proceeds to tell him in a calm voice that this is a service animal. The guard gets loud and hostile and tells him that others have tried to bring their "dogs" into the store and that "dogs" are not allowed in the store. Once again the blind man explains nicely that this is a seeing eye dog (the dog was on a harness and had his tags on). The security guard only seems to get more belligerent. At this point the man walks away thinking the security guard has lost his ever-loving mind. He attempts to walk to the register to pay for his water. At this point the security guard snatches the water from him and tells him to get out the store. The blind man asks to speak to the store manager at this point. The security guard tells him "NO! I've got this under control!" Again the manager was requested. At this point the security guard tells him he is going to get a police officer to remove him from the store. He asks can he atleast get a phone number to contact someone? The security guard says sure, but first you have to get out of the store. At this point the security guard picks up the blind man and throws him physically out of the store!! :eek: He was nice enough to come back outside and give him a 1-800 number to call.

The blind man promptly calls the store to speak to the manager who basically had a "...and -- so..what?" attitude. The manager said he would check into it, but never returned the call. With some digging we got the security guards name, and found out that he is more than just security... he is a city cop of all things! -- Hired by the store.

Question: Does my friend have a discrimination case? We have been getting mixed answers from different "opinions". I've told him to seek legal help, but that costs more money than he can afford. He even looked into the local law college. He's called almost everyone. Any help, advice or points of interest would be greatly appreciated in this matter. Sorry so long winded.

HomeGuru

cocobunny said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Ohio

I'm writting this on behalf of my friend....

My legaly blind friend was in Krogers (national food chain in Ohio) attempting to buy some water. He had his service animal on a leash, guiding him through the store. The dog never barked or growled, as he is trained not to. Basicly they were both minding their own buisness.

Security for the store approaches the blind man. He tells him "dogs" are not allowed in the store. The man proceeds to tell him in a calm voice that this is a service animal. The guard gets loud and hostile and tells him that others have tried to bring their "dogs" into the store and that "dogs" are not allowed in the store. Once again the blind man explains nicely that this is a seeing eye dog (the dog was on a harness and had his tags on). The security guard only seems to get more belligerent. At this point the man walks away thinking the security guard has lost his ever-loving mind. He attempts to walk to the register to pay for his water. At this point the security guard snatches the water from him and tells him to get out the store. The blind man asks to speak to the store manager at this point. The security guard tells him "NO! I've got this under control!" Again the manager was requested. At this point the security guard tells him he is going to get a police officer to remove him from the store. He asks can he atleast get a phone number to contact someone? The security guard says sure, but first you have to get out of the store. At this point the security guard picks up the blind man and throws him physically out of the store!! :eek: He was nice enough to come back outside and give him a 1-800 number to call.

The blind man promptly calls the store to speak to the manager who basically had a "...and -- so..what?" attitude. The manager said he would check into it, but never returned the call. With some digging we got the security guards name, and found out that he is more than just security... he is a city cop of all things! -- Hired by the store.

Question: Does my friend have a discrimination case? We have been getting mixed answers from different "opinions". I've told him to seek legal help, but that costs more money than he can afford. He even looked into the local law college. He's called almost everyone. Any help, advice or points of interest would be greatly appreciated in this matter. Sorry so long winded.
**A: yes indeed. Have that person and the dog hire a blind attorney to sue them where it counts.

rmet4nzkx

Have your friend contact the cooporate headquarters for Kroger,
To contact Kroger with your questions about Kroger Plus Internet Coupons:
To contact Kroger with your comments or questions:
* Call us at: 1-866-221-4141
* Mail us at: 1014 Vine Street Cincinnati, Ohio 45202-1100

local independant living center, the eeoc, there is an ADA hotline as well 800-514-0301, all can give advise and referrals. This is a violation of ADA. It is not funny and people with service dogs are allowed to have them in stores and other public places. Some attorneys are blind or have disabilities but there is no requirement that a disabled attorney represent a disabled client. I will keep my attorney jokes to myself.

Last edited:

nextwife

He should definately contact Kroger headquarters and detail where and when this occured. Likely managment will be appalled and anxious to make ammends. It is doubtful the guard was representing store policy, rather a poorly informed guard acted independently. They need to be aware that their store's personel need to be better informed.

cocobunny

Thank you for all your advice. It has been forwarded for him to read and review.

ps
A person came forward today and said they saw the whole thing. They said they would be willing to testify if need be! :D

rmet4nzkx

I'm glad you let us know what happened and always good to get a witness. Also since the guard was also a member of the police force, a report should also be made there even though he was off duty, especially if it was a small town.

cocobunny

RE: a report should also be made

rmet4nzkx said:
I'm glad you let us know what happened and always good to get a witness. Also since the guard was also a member of the police force, a report should also be made there even though he was off duty, especially if it was a small town.
My friend tried to make a "report" the day it happend. When the police came out they said there was nothing they could do :mad: . And as such, they didnt take a report! And when my friend tried to get a copy of the call he made into the police station they said they "couldnt find the tape" :mad: . Thats when I told him.....its time you got a lawyer!!

rmet4nzkx

Call the toll free number for Krogers again, call your self during business hours, as for the police, make another report again, use the wintesses and also call the city hall and report it to the city attorney, if the police department is losing police reports just because the victim is blind there is a serious proublem

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">