• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Blog about a possible crime [OHIO]

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MisterOwl

I'd like to write a story that is closely based on factual events that may involve breaking the law. Nothing major, possibly trespassing. The story is written in the first person. I'd like to protect myself and the story from wrongfully being accused of a crime in the real world, and it being used as an admission of guilt. Would a Fictional Events disclaimer protect the story and myself? If not, what could I do to ensure my blog post cannot be used against me if I ever were falsely accused?

Thank you!

Just Blue

I'd like to write a story that is closely based on factual events that may involve breaking the law. Nothing major, possibly trespassing. The story is written in the first person. I'd like to protect myself and the story from wrongfully being accused of a crime in the real world, and it being used as an admission of guilt. Would a Fictional Events disclaimer protect the story and myself? If not, what could I do to ensure my blog post cannot be used against me if I ever were falsely accused?

Thank you!
What state?

quincy

Ohio is in the thread title.

Disclaimers do not prevent lawsuits but they can help to mitigate damages awarded in a lawsuit so they are good to have for that reason. They cannot prevent criminal charges from being filed so it is smart not to confess to crimes.

FlyingRon

I'm even more pessimistic than Quincy. Just because you disclaim something as being fiction doesn't make it fiction when it is not. You very much can be civilly (as well as criminally) liable for your actions. OJ was lucky he only made such idiotic statement after he'd won the criminal trial and lost the civil one.

quincy

If you are charged with any crime for any reason - whether the criminal accusation is false or not - you need to contact an attorney in your area.

Blog postings and Facebook entries and YouTube videos have led to legal problems for their creators in the past. When you publish online or elsewhere, you need to be very careful with your words and your content.

Here is a link to the Knight Community News Network (KCNN) which has a “learning module” on legal risks. Under featured learning modules, scroll to find (in red) the “Limiting Legal Risk.”
https://kcnn.org

I recommend you read it before writing and publishing. In fact, all of the information provided on that site is good for online writers.

MisterOwl

If you are charged with any crime for any reason - whether the criminal accusation is false or not - you need to contact an attorney in your area.

Blog postings and Facebook entries and YouTube videos have led to legal problems for their creators in the past. When you publish online or elsewhere, you need to be very careful with your words and your content.

Here is a link to the Knight Community News Network (KCNN) which has a “learning module” on legal risks. Under featured learning modules, scroll to find (in red) the “Limiting Legal Risk.”
https://kcnn.org

I recommend you read it before writing and publishing. In fact, all of the information provided on that site is good for online writers.
Thank you, I will give that a read!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">